The gorgeous Price family. I first met Chelsea years ago while I was photographing a wedding. We were all at Chelsea’s Hair and Beauty Salon, The Hollow.
The first thing I noticed was Chelsea’s great taste, the styling of the salon first, then as I began watching Chelsea work I noticed her incredible jewellery which she has designed herself. When Chels booked in for her session I knew that Chelsea was going to have her family styled perfectly, which made me super excited because I am a huge lover of fashion and styling.
Wardrobe is such an important part of your photography session. And while I can help with suggestions, I love seeing families put their outfits together with the help of some handy guidelines, because it ensures that my clients still feel like themselves. While my own personal wardrobe is probably quite “boho” at times, and what I lean towards when styling others, that may not actually feel like you. So. My greatest recommendations for choosing your outfits are essentially what Chelsea has followed here:
- Pick 4 key colours. Here Chelsea has chosen Rust, Mustard, Tan and Blue.
- Have one patterned item, in this instance it is Chelsea’s dress. If the pattern has different colours in it, pull those colours for the other family member’s outfits. Chelsea has also introduced a textured pattern in with Xandie’s dress, which creates interest without introducing another colour.
- Avoid writing or logos on clothing items. Writing is distracting and it dates your images.
- Layers – Xandie had a denim jacket which she wore for some images and not in others. This can create diversity. Cardigans, cosy knits, long scarves and blankets in winter can all make great additions to your session.
- Accessories – Wide brimmed hats, statement necklaces or earrings, whatever it is that makes you feel like you.
- Appropriate footwear. I recommend making sure that children are in proper shoes as we are usually walking through grass, paddocks etc. Thongs are definitely not recommended for my outdoor sessions.
- Hair and Makeup – I love having my hair and/or makeup done for photos. I like to keep it natural, but I also feel like it gives me a little more pep in my step. It also means that you can go somewhere quiet and have some time to actually get ready, while hubby can get the kiddo’s prepared – it is a win-win! While it isn’t for everyone, it is something that I personally love doing. If you are after a beautiful natural look I can highly recommend Chelsea’s salon – The Hollow! Ask for Chelsea or Jane and tell them I sent you 😉
- The most important part – be you! Whether you are buying new outfits or working your current wardrobe, the most important thing is that you feel like yourself.
Now that you have some helpful tips for wardrobe options, enjoy this beautiful gallery of Chelsea, Brent, Xandie and Dallas on their gorgeous property. I could of stayed there forever and am already looking forward to doing it again next year!
Your Narrative blog will appear here, click preview to see it live.
For any issues click here